Thursday, October 24, 2013

Literary Analysis #3

Book: Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne
TOPIC(S) and/or EVENT(S)

1. [a] This book is about a persons’ mistakes and the punishment not seen through all the way. Hester should not have been the only one punished, for this deed required 2 people in order for it to have happen. Now she has to handle her life that way and now raise a young daughter who is stranger than most young children.
[b] This book is about a mistake that affected the life of one women who is now having to deal with the entire town looking down on her and raising a child who seems to have a hard time fitting in.
2. I believe that Hawthorne wrote a book about this event because like me he found it interesting and exciting. He saw this event as the best way to get the idea of thinking before you act out there since what happened here was so dark and twisted that it just had to be written about and read by everyone. With that the hopes that everyone would actually catch on to one of the morals then we would all have spent the time reading it well because we’d all walk away learning something we already knew but now take more seriously. That being think before you act.
3. I chose this book because I liked the whole story, one mistake messing up one persons’ entire life and the other person being in deep guilt about what he had done. A story like this really appealed to me because it showed me that one simple mistake could mess up everything and leave the people involved in some life changing problems. The way this whole story unfolded was always causing me to keep turning the page, I mean first the women is being ridiculed and out of nowhere the man is standing in front of his audience and is admitting to everything he had done. This book was unpredictable.
4. This book seemed very realistic, mostly due to the fact that there have been many versions of this story told and the fact that this could happen to everyone in a different way. With that said I can say that I can relate to Dimmesdale who felt much guilt after doing what he did. Now I can say I have made mistakes that gave me similar results, although my mistake wasn’t like his at all, I still felt guilt afterwards because everyone but me got punished. This was an event that happened last year and I couldn’t believe that everyone but me got caught. At first I felt HUGE relief because I was the one that got away but after that passed I felt bad for everyone that did get caught. So I can say that in this situation I was a lot like Dimmesdale but I never admitted what I did.

PEOPLE

1. I would say yes, if we met the actual characters we more than likely would see them differently. That tells me that Hawthorne was one who interpreted certain things in his own way, every single little detail is not going to be right. I believe he wanted to write this book because he found this whole situation to be very interesting, I mean there was such a big consequence to that one action. The authors overall tone was more dark than anything and this tells me that the author really enjoyed stories that had twists and turns and not so good results.
2. Hester is a women on the tall side, she is very attractive and has long beautiful black hair. She is more of a quiet one, but once she wants to can be the most talkative person you can imagine. She is only shy around newer people. To write about her I would use direct characterization mostly because she is quiet so I would have to tell the audience what she is like. Now Pearl is a strange little girl, she is light skinned, short for her age, very thin, and also has that long black hair. She is also very quiet and does not get along with other kids. For her I would also use direct characterization since she just stays quiet a lot.
3. I liked these people because they seem the most real. I feel like these are actual people that I would meet in life and I can’t see that with other people.

MORE

1. When the author says that Hester was in a darker place and was only seeking the approval of the rest of the town were forms of direct characterization, we would not have known this is if Hawthorne had not told us. Also indirect characterization happens when we see Pearl in the woods and when we see the struggle Dimmesdale is going through, we are told all of this and have to realize that Pearl is not like most kids and Dimmesdale is one that feels much guilt for what he did. Hawthorne uses both method in order to make the story more interesting, if everything was told to the audience it would not be as interesting.
2. Overall the author’s diction and syntax does not change when he is talking about characters. If you notice throughout the book his sentence structure does not change and his word choice seems to stay constant.
3. The protagonist in the story is a dynamic character as well as a round character. I say this because as the story began she was one who kept to herself and tried to just get by. Then as the story progressed she started to look for help with her daughter and also with herself. She began to obtain the traits of a normal human being and finally became part of the town again.
4. After I finished the book I did feel like I had met Hester because of how I analyzed her throughout the book. I feel like someone like her is one that I could actually meet at some point in life, I was stunned at the similarities with her and actual people I know.

STYLE

1. Hawthorne used many tools from fiction writing, the one that was most common was foreshadowing. One of the times we see foreshadowing a lot is when Hester and her daughter are in the woods and the daughter is off in the darker parts of it. It tells us a bit about her, showing us that she is one that is very different from other kids and even though we do not know a lot about her we can assume that she is one that keeps to herself and might be called a freak by other children or by somebody else later in the story.
2. The author here focuses more on the actions and dialogue than on descriptions. With that in mind then the book becomes open to imagination, I mean since Hawthorne does not fully describe the town or anything then you could imagine how it looks and everything. I love that about books because I can make the setting however I see fit.
3. In order to create a mood and tone the author used actions that demonstrated what the character was thinking and doing. With the characters actions being put there we can instantly imagine a tone or mood being placed there. For example when we see Hester’s daughter in the woods we get a darker mood from this because she wonders off a bit alone and her surrounding area is darker that other parts of the woods. This is how he was able to create a tone or mood.
4. Towards the characters I would imagine that the author’s attitude would have been more joyful and interested. I say this because he actually took the time to write an entire novel about this topic and about these people, although he more than likely thinks that the punishments were a bit harsh on them he was still into the idea that all this really happened.
5. The author did not really offer any resources so it did not matter to my thinking of the book/story because there was nothing to interfere with my thinking.

ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS

1. The key people learn that it is better to confess what you have done than to keep things secret and watch them slowly get worse. The finally learn this after seeing the affect it had on poor Pearl, finally Dimmesdale confessed what he had done in front of everyone. The book slowly revealed that this turn of events was going to happen and just led me to believe it to happen which it did.

ENDUING MEMORY


            The main idea I got out of this book is to always think before you act because you never know what can happen with the choices you make and once they are made there’s no going back. I chose to always remember this one because I feel like this is something I can actually use on a daily basis, other ideas I can’t see myself ever using. Every single day I am faced with choices to make and I can always remember that once one is made I can’t go back with my eraser and change it, I have to deal with it. This causes me to be more careful with the things I do, I have to learn now that there are consequences to any choice I make. This is something everybody can relate to because everyone and I mean EVERYONE has to make choices at one time or another, and they have to know what they are choosing before they actually decide on it. We have to learn to think before acting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment